- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, NCSU (Spring 2020)
- M.Tech., Civil Engineering, (Water Resources Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, 2014
- B.E., Civil Engineering, IIEST Shibpur, (formerly known as BESU, Shibpur), 2011
Teaching/ Research Experience:
- Mentored Teaching Fellow for the course CE 383 ‘Hydrology and Urban Water Systems’, Spring 2018.
- Research Assistant, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State University, NC
August 2015 ~ Present.
- Teaching Assistant for the course CE 381 (Hydraulics Systems Measurements Lab), Water Resources Engineering, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, North Carolina State University, NC
Fall 2015, Spring 2016
- Project Associate at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore from July, 2014 to June 2015 in the project ‘Integrated Urban Flood Management in India: Technology-Driven Solutions’ funded by Information Technology Research Academy, India (ITRA) and Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), India. My responsibilities involved floodplain mapping, flood forecasting and management, spatio-temporal interpolation of rainfall, runoff prediction using future Intensity-Duration-Frequency relationships for different climate change scenarios in urban areas.
- Teaching assistant for Engineering Drawing course at IIT Kanpur, Spring, 2013.
- Teaching assistant for Hydraulics Laboratory at IIT Kanpur, Fall, 2012.
- 2021 CUAHSI Hydroinformatics Innovation Fellowship.
- Thomas G. Coffey Graduate Fellowship, for outstanding research in linking climate, hydrology for improving water and energy management, Spring, 2019.
- Graduate Student Fellowship (2019) under NCAR’s Advanced Study Program.
- Non-Academic Research Internships for Graduate Students (INTERN) Supplemental Funding from National Science Foundation (NSF), 2019, for additional support for Cybersees Type II project
- Awarded second place in Departmental 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) Competition on April 2, 2018.
- Global Change Fellow, Spring 2018 of Southeast Climate Science Center.
- Awarded ‘Mentored Teaching Fellowship (MTF)’, sponsored by NC State College of Engineering for Spring 2018 semester.
- Received DAAD-IIT Masters Scholarship for 2013-2014 and carried out part of the Master’s research at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany.
- Awarded silver medal and Naresh Chandra Bose Award for excellence in Civil Engineering for achieving 1st position in B.E.
- Worked as an exchange student at Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland in Summer, 2010 under scholarship grant of “Queen’s India Welcome Scheme”.
- Selected for National Merit Scholarship in 2007.
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU) Student Member
My Leisure Activities
Sudarshana is a History lover, a movie buff and a traveler. Traveling to places, whether nearby or far away, is the single thing that excites her most. Experiencing the local culture and cuisine is an integral part of her travel. She often enjoys looking at the world through the lenses of her camera. With the same enthusiasm she likes spending a day at a museum as she enjoys hiking and kayaking. Leisurely strolls after a day-long research, followed by a slow but steady progress through the pages of the new fiction novel – perfectly portrays her regular days. If you don’t find Sudarshana around the campus in the evening, chances are she is enjoying some live music, preferably jazz or bluegrass, with her friends. Recently, she has started taking interest in gardening.